UCCS plans to honor Lt. Gen. Michelle D. Johnson, superintendent of the Air Force Academy, as part of the Karen Possehl Women’s Endowment program.
Johnson has been named the Pikes Peak region’s Unstoppable Woman for 2016.
On May 17 at 11:30 Johnson and seven graduating KPWE scholarship recipients, will be honored at a community luncheon at the Gallogly Events Center. KPWE is a UCCS scholarship program that supports women returning to college after overcoming personal obstacles. Since its inception, 162 scholarships have been awarded.
As the academy’s superintendent, Johnson directs a four-year regimen of military training, academics, athletic and character development programs leading to a Bachelor of Science degree and a commission as a second lieutenant. She is the first female wing commander at the Air Force Academy, a Rhodes Scholar, command pilot and aide to presidents George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton. She is also the first female superintendent of a Department of Defense military service academy.
Previous award winners include: Jan Martin, Nancy Lewis, Margot Lane, Sharon Berthrong, Mary Osborne and Mary Lou Makepeace.
Seven UCCS students will also be recognized for completing the program and graduating from UCCS. The students are
- Laura Bell, Manitou Springs. Bell will graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Biology.
- Cynthia Dwelis, Colorado Springs. Dwelis will graduate with a Bachelor of Arts in Visual and Performing Arts.
- Katrin Kramer, Colorado Springs, graduated in December with a Bachelor of Science in Business.
- Angela Lenn, Peyton, will graduate with a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology.
- Staci Ruddy, Colorado Springs, will graduate with a Master of Science in Nursing.
- Georgina Segura, Colorado Springs, graduated in December with a Master of Science in Nursing.
- Rachel Taylor, Colorado Springs, will graduate with a Bachelor of Arts in Geography and Environmental Studies.
The event is $50 per person or $500 for a 10-person table before May 1. After May 1, tickets will be $60 per person or $600 per table. All net proceeds go to the Karen Possehl Women’s Endowment Program. Register online at www.uccs.edu/kpwe or call 255-5108 for more information.