Peak Vista Community Health Centers announced the inaugural class of its family medicine residency program; a post-graduate clinical training for residents.
Residents begin the three-year program in July. The eight FMR resident slots are filled by:
- Leah Blake, Murietta, Calif., graduate from Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Jordan Christensen, Buffalo, N.Y., graduate from Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Na Jen, Philadelphia, Penn., graduate from Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Joshua Jewell, Huntington, W.Va., graduate from West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
- Daniel Kramer, Eugene, Ore., graduate from Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Matthew Schippers, West Olive, Mich., graduate from Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Shenelle Schoenfeld, Orlando, Fla., graduate from Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences
- Christa Wright, Fort Worth, Texas, graduate from University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth/Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine
“This is an incredible milestone for Peak Vista and for our community,” said Peak Vista President and CEO Pam McManus. “Bringing medical residents to the area will not only improve patient access, it is a community effort to build a local solution for the provider workforce shortage in the Pikes Peak and East Central regions of Colorado.”
The three-year program will emphasize several primary care clinical training areas — from outpatient pediatric and family medicine to gynecology and geriatric care. With eight slots available per year, the FMR program is a traditional three-year Osteopathic Family Medicine Residency with community support from local hospitals and specialty physicians.
In its inaugural year, Peak Vista’s residency program received 230 applications and interviewed 54 candidates. By 2019, the FMR program anticipates a total of 24 residents will be receiving post-graduate clinical training in various stages of the three-year program.
Learn more about Peak Vista’s FMR program and other clinical training programs at peakvista.org.