Predictions of downtown flooding came true for Manitou Springs.
While Manitou Springs escaped the kind of flooding it saw in 2013, the city still saw widespread infrastructure damage. It will receive part of a $20 million federal disaster grant.

Colorado Springs and El Paso County will receive federal disaster money to repair public infrastructure damaged by heaving rain and flooding throughout the state during the past Spring.

El Paso County is one of 11 counties that are part of the disaster declaration, and received the majority of damage for the state. The preliminary damage assessments show a combined total of $20 million in damage across Baca, Elbert, El Paso, Fremont, Logan, Morgan, Pueblo, Saguache, Sedgwick, Washington and Yuma counties.

“We will continue to work closely with FEMA to assess determine the eligibility of damages as we work to repair public infrastructure that received damage from the unprecedented rainfall in May and June,” said Mayor John Suthers.

The City of Colorado Springs could receive 75 percent reimbursement from the Federal Emergency Management Administration for eligible repairs, based on receipts submitted, documenting the actual cost of repairs. The remaining 25 percent may be divided equally between the city of Colorado Springs and the state of Colorado.

The money is for instructor purposes only, and can’t be used for individual assistance trying to recoup costs of damage to homes affected by the flooding, city officials said.

On May 18 former Mayor Steve Bach signed a local disaster declaration in the amount of $8.2 million for damage to public infrastructure caused by heavy rains and flooding between May 3 and 12. The declaration was later amended to include storms between May 3 and June 17 to account for additional damage.

- Advertisement -

City Council approved May 26 an Emergency Supplemental Appropriation Ordinance in the amount of $5 million requested by Bach to immediately fund the highest priority repairs for stormwater and parks infrastructure that were damaged during the severe weather.