Human resource compliance workshop
The Better Business Bureau of Southern Colorado is hosting a workshop about human resource regulations from 8 a.m. to noon June 27 at the SilverWood Hotel and Conference Center, 505 Popes Bluff Trail.
Paul Hurcomb of Sparks Wilson Borges Brandt & Johnson; Kim Koy, director of the Mountain States Employers Council; and Joseph Herrera of the Department of Labor and Employment will be the featured speakers.
They will discuss what businesses need to do to comply with federal and state employment laws, the Colorado Wage Act, employment at will and the requirements for an employee handbook.
The cost is $49 for BBB members and $59 for non-members.
RSVP to Debbie Montoya at 636-5076, ext. 115 or email@example.com.
Workshops for military entrepreneurs
The Service Corps of Retired Executives is hosting workshops for military personnel who are considering leaving the service and starting a small business. The cost is $15 per participant or couple.
The presentation will include information about starting a business from scratch, purchasing a franchise and buying an existing business.
The workshops are from 8 a.m. to noon at the following locations:
- Fort Carson, July 31 and Nov. 13. Call Leonardo Martinez at 526-1002 or 526-0394 to register.
- Peterson Air Force Base, Aug. 1 and Nov. 7. Call Susan Golden at 556-6141 or 556-6323 to register.
- Schriever Air Force Base, Aug. 28 and Nov. 20. Call Andrea Hernandez at 567-7340 or 567-7378 to register.
For more information, call the SCORE office at 636-3074.
BBB hosting series of communication seminars
The Better Business Bureau of Southern Colorado is hosting a series of seminars to help businesses improve their communication skills. Called “Sweet Talk,” the series will feature communication experts who will share techniques and information about enhancing the communication process.
The seminars are from 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. in the Adult Reading Room of the Penrose Library, 20 N. Cascade Ave. The cost is $15 for BBB members and $20 for non-members if paid in advance, and $25 for members and $30 for non-members if paid at the door.
To purchase tickets or for more information, contact Debbie Montoya at 636-5076, ext. 115, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dates and topics include:
- Aug. 2 — Customer Love: Keys to great customer service
- Sept. 6 — Perfect PR: How to make media relations work for you
- Oct. 4 — Sensei Skills: Mastering your presentation, how to research and develop your content, and Internet tech wonders
- Nov. 1 — Take the Lead: Leadership, motivating, managing, role modeling