Library offering business, investment, legal programs
The Pikes Peak Library district is offering the following programs in December:
- Investment Tools at Your Library: Learn how to research company information and how to follow company or mutual fund performance at 8:30 a.m. Dec. 10 at the Penrose branch. Sources will include Value Line and Morningstar, subscription databases on the library’s Web site, and other Internet sites. For more information, call 531-6333, ext. 2308.
- Basic Legal Research Class: Participants will learn to conduct legal research using library resources at 8:30 a.m. Dec. 14 at the Penrose branch. The instructor will teach students how to find federal and state laws, court cases and legal forms. Personal legal questions will not be addressed in the class. Registration is required. Call 389-8968 for more information, or to register.
Take 7 hosts annual gallery exhibit
Take 7, a collective of Colorado Springs’ foremost contemporary photographers, is displaying a gallery of fine art portraiture of local residents at the Antlers Hilton Hotel, 4 S. Cascade Ave., through Jan. 8.
Studios represented include Black Forest Photography, Blue Fox Photography, Cayton Photography, Charlotte Geary Photography, Click Photography, In House Photography, Natural Expressions Photography, Polyscenic Photography, Studios J.K. Photography and Walt Palmer Photography.
Colorado sales tax class offered in Springs, Pueblo
The Colorado Department of Revenue is offering a free training seminar about state sales tax issues at 2:30 p.m. Dec. 14 at 310 E. Abriendo in Pueblo.
Participants will learn about sales tax licenses, trade names, how to collect sales tax, distinguishing sales and use tax and available electronic sources.
Training materials are provided and the seminar is free of charge. No registration is required for the Colorado Springs seminar. Register for the Pueblo seminar by calling 542-2920.
For more information, visit www.taxcolorado.com.
Edward Jones hosting estate planning broadcast
Edward Jones is hosting an estate planning broadcast at 9:30 a.m. Dec. 13 at 1130 N. Circle Drive, Suite 206.
Seating is limited. Call Rick Tucker at 578-9905 for reservations.
Program set for tax planning practitioners
A program about preparing 2005 tax returns and advising clients during tax season is scheduled for 11 a.m. Dec. 14 at 1130 N. Circle Drive, Suite 206.
The program, which qualifies for five hours of CPE credit, will highlight new legislation, and cases and rulings of relevance to the general practitioner. The cost to attend is $50.
Call Rick Tucker at 578-9905 for more information.
Webcast training for veteran business owners
Veteran-owned businesses will be able to participate in a live interactive Webcast that will provide training and raise awareness of federal contract assistance for veteran- and service-disabled veteran-owned businesses at 1 p.m. Dec. 14.
The four-hour Webcast, offered by the U.S. Small Business Administration, is one of a series of training sessions for veteran-owned businesses.
Participants should visit www.usvets.tv or www.tvorldwide.com and have Windows Media Player installed prior to the event. The Webcast will feature discussions with Teresa Lewis, SBA assistant administrator for the Office of Federal Contract Assistance for Veteran Business Owners; William Elmore, associate administrator for the Office of Veterans Business Development; representatives from the Task Force for Veterans Entrepreneurship and other speakers and panelists.
The program will highlight:
- How to market to the federal government (central contractor registration and business plans
- How to get on the General Services Administration’s federal supply schedule
- How to establish a teaming arrangement (joint venture agreements, subcontracting agreements and mentor protégé agreements)
- How to finance your business (start-up capital, loans, SBA loan guarantees, bank loans, budgeting, capital for growth and expansion)
- Methods for forecasting contracting opportunities
- How to successfully get contract opportunities
For more information about how to receive veterans business assistance from the SBA, visit www.sba.gov/gc/indexprograms-vets.html.
Edward Jones hosting satellite broadcast
Edward Jones investment representative Gail Fernandez is hosting a free one-hour satellite broadcast titled “Making Sense of the Headlines” at 9:30 a.m. Jan. 10 at 21 E. Monument St., Suite A.
The program will include information about events that have impacted the stock market.
For more information, call 635-9992.